Category Archives: Ballindalloch Estate

Ballindalloch Castle and Gardens

Ballindalloch Castle has been the home of the Macpherson-Grants since the Sixteenth Century and today is one of the finest surviving examples of a classic Scottish baronial castle. Situated on the banks of the River Avon, a short distance from its junction with the River Spey, we welcome visitors from Good Friday until 30th September.

Come and explore and enjoy five hundred years of Highland history, acres of formal gardens, woodlands and riverside walks, the children’s Playground, Picnic Area, Tearoom and Gift Shop…and some award-winning loos!

You find information about the castle on the Ballindaloch Castle and Gardens website.

Ballindalloch Distillery

Located in a 19th century steading, Ballindalloch Distillery began production in September 2014 after a number of years of planning, building and renovation work.

It can very much be said that the building of Ballindalloch Distillery is a return to the industry for the Macpherson-Grant family following the work of Sir George Macpherson-Grant, the 3rd Baronet of Ballindalloch who began his involvement in the industry in the 1860’s.

Based on traditional distillation principles, our single malt Distillery has no reliance on computers, instead using the skill of Distillery Manager Colin Poppy and assistants David Norquoy and Ian McMurdo. Here you are able to get as close as it is possible to be to the art of whisky making and a range of tours of Ballindalloch Distillery are available by appointment

For more information and to book a tour please visit the Distillery website

Ballindalloch Castle

History of Ballindalloch Estate

The lands of Ballindalloch and Glencairnie were granted to John Grant of Freuchie by King James IV in 1499 in reward for his: ‘Good faithful and thankful service in peace and war’. It was John Grant’s grandson, also christened John, who began the construction of a castle at Ballindalloch in the 1540s.

Traditionally, the lairds of Ballindalloch have been, at heart, men of the Highlands, concerned first and foremost with being good custodians of their estate. Up until the early 1800s life on the Ballindalloch Estate changed only with the seasons. However, the tendrils of industrial and agricultural revolution spreading across northern Europe would eventually reach out to the Highlands and the 19th Century would witness considerable modernisation. In particular, Sir George Macpherson of Ballindalloch, the 1st Baronet, was a devoted farmer and his stewardship brought about tremendous improvements in the efficiency of the Estate. The 3rd Baronet, Sir George Macpherson-Grant, was also a dedicated farmer and agricultural innovator and is best known for establishing, in 1860, the Ballindalloch herd of Aberdeen Angus cattle, now the oldest herd in the world.

The tumultuous era of two world wars would force a stark choice upon the great estates of Scotland: diversify or die. From the late 1970s onwards Clare (Macpherson-Grant) and her husband Oliver Russell devoted themselves to diversifying the activities of this ancient Highland estate, ensuring that Ballindalloch Estate would continue to play an important role into the 21st Century. The traditional activities of arable and cattle farming were complemented by new departures into forestry, country sports, leisure and tourism.

Today this process of sensitive diversification is carried on with the same dedication by their son Guy Macpherson-Grant and his wife Victoria, the latest evolution being the opening of Ballindalloch Single Malt Distillery.